(Partial completion of FNS50615)
RG146 Compliant Margin Lending
What does this course involve?
This course delivers the knowledge and skills required to provide RG 146 compliant Margin Lending advice* (ie. both general AND personal advice), subject to having completed prior financial planning prerequisites from our Diploma of Financial Planning.
Students select this course for a number of reasons. Some are existing advisers wanting to increase their scope of advice under their Letter of Authority, covering margin lending products and strategies. Others want to specifically focus on becoming Margin Lending Advisers. Many aim to work in Margin Lending product businesses in the financial services industry supporting direct consumers. There are also advisers that need to upgrade their existing qualifications to be RG146 compliant in Margin Lending, if they have not studied Margin Lending directly.
* Please note: It is a prerequisite that you complete Module 1 and 2 of Monarch’s Diploma of Financial Planning (or the equivalent from another accredited education provider) before completing the Margin Lending unit of competency. Of course you might want to continue and complete the full Diploma of Financial Planning or Advanced Diploma of Financial Planning with us. Call us today on 1300 738 955 and one of our friendly staff will chat about your specific requirements with you.
This course meets the ASIC Margin Lending education requirements and covers:
MAR1 - Margin Lending
- Debt management strategies
- Why consolidate debt
- Positive, neutral and negative gearing
- Gearing and tax
- Risks of gearing
- Risks of double gearing
- How margin lending works
- How buffers operate within a margin lending agreement
- Loan to value ratios
- Strategies to manage a hypothetical margin call including; (1) paying off the margin loan, (2) lodging additional capital, and (3) selling investments
- Worked case studies
- Installment gearing strategies
- Strategies to reduce risks of margin calls
Engaging content. Amazing support.
Online Study or Workshops Online Study (Self-Paced)
- Easy-to-read course materials
- Videos and Webinars
- Telephone Support from our Accredited Trainers
- Email Support from our Accredited Trainers
- Online Assessments
- Online Student Forums
Workshops (Face-to-face)^ Online Study Support PLUS
- Workshop contact days: 1.5 days
- Facilitated by expert industry qualified trainers
^ Please note, the 1.5-day workshop time-frame is in addition to the Online study support available to all students. It is not indicative of the total course duration. Please refer to the ‘duration’ tab (below) for more information.
Online vs workshops
Online Learning – any time, any place, with maximum flexibility
Online learning allows you to start a course when and where it is convenient for you to study. It is particularly popular with stay-at-home parents, full time employees, or anyone seeking maximum flexibility because you can choose the pace you study (fast or slow).
You are very well supported throughout your course. A dedicated Online education support team allows you to discuss your course work on a one-on-one basis with a specialist Financial Planning Trainer. Your Financial Planning Trainer is happy to contact you via phone, Skype, or email between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm as you progress through the course, so you definitely won’t feel alone. You also have access to Online discussion forums via Monarch’s state-of-the-art learning management system providing access to an online learning community of fellow students.
Please CLICK HERE for more information about studying Online with Monarch.
Face-to-Face workshops – CBD training nationwide
We offer intimate ‘small class room’ training (i.e. no more than 15 students per trainer) at our state-of-the-art training facilities just minutes from the CBD in all major States. All training materials are included in our prices.
Workshop interest varies across locations and times of the year. We would be pleased to record your interest in any of our face-to-face courses and will let you know as soon as the course is confirmed to proceed.
Monarch Institute provides onsite training for group instruction (minimum 6 staff). Please call us or email us, if you represent a company or organisation with more than 6 staff that require face-to-face workshops conducted at your office.
The RG146 Margin Lending Advisor course provides you with the ability to deliver BOTH general and personal Margin Lending advice, subject to completing the prerequisites of DFP1 and DFP2 from the Diploma of Financial Planning. You can choose to enrol in this course Online or face-to-face workshops.
RG146 Margin Lending Advisor Course Online (self paced)
Face to Face
MAR1 Margin Lending $395 $950
^All students studying at Monarch Institute are regarded as undertaking a course or qualification by Online/distance education. Students may choose to attend optional workshops which are facilitated by a recognised industry expert (‘facilitator’), in this instance a Financial Planning Professional. All Monarch facilitators are nationally recognised trainers and assessors under the Australian Quality and Training Framework (AQF). To successfully complete the RG146 Margin Lending Adviser Course, pre-reading, attendance at optional workshops (if applicable), self-study and post-workshop assessments is required. For further information, refer to Monarch Institute’s Student Information Guide.
Is there a maximum course completion time?
Yes – you have up to 6 months to complete the qualification, and many complete it in less time.
We find our students complete the RG146 Margin Lending course in varying time frames. It really does depend on your life situation, and time availability. There is also a requirement that you complete the module within 6 months.
Is there a minimum course completion time?
No – there is no minimum course time-frame.
Students can complete the qualification as quickly as they choose.
What is the average course completion time-frame?
Volume of learning: We have found students that are genuinely motivated to progress through the course are able to complete the course in 3-4 months. Other students take up to 6 months. The key factors that influence course completion is a student’s experience, time availability and work rate.
Monarch has carefully structured its financial services assessments to include a variety of formats which will enhance your understanding:
- Case studies
- Multiple choice
- Short answer questions
- Workplace scenarios
Check your English and Maths ability by CLICKING HERE
Margin Lending is a rapidly growing area of advice within the financial services industry. Any person who provides Margin Lending advice must have an industry specific accreditation (known as RG146 certification).
Career opportunities include positions in banks, fund managers, specialist margin lending providers, investment platforms, AFSL’s, and financial planning practices, both large and small.
What job roles exist?
- Financial planner/adviser
- Associate financial planner/adviser (i.e. a junior)
- Financial Planning practice manager
- Compliance officer at a financial planning firm/AFSL
- Call center adviser for an Margin Lending provider
- Call center adviser for an Investment Fund Management provider
- Call center adviser for an Investment platform provider
- Back-office fund management operations officer
- Back-office investment platform operations officer
- Investment corporate actions support officer
Will previous study and experience count?
Monarch Institute recognises Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which takes into account the knowledge and skills you have already gained through your previous education and work history, attributing this to your RG146 Compliant Margin Lending course. This may be through formal or informal training and can result in credits towards your qualification. More information can be found in Monarch’s Student Information Guide.
Future education pathways
Hear why people choose Monarch
- Our students discuss why they chose a financial planning career
- Hear insight from experts about the financial planning industry
- Hear from our students about their learning experience
- Discover why Online learning is fantastic
- Hear what it takes to be successful in the financial planning industry
- Experts explain career opportunities in Accounting & Bookkeeping
- Our students discuss why they chose a financial planning career
- Natalie explains how she started her Bookkeeping business
- Simon explains how the Diploma of Accounting works
- Chris explains his small business journey
- Fleur explains her success in building a furniture business
- Jay shares his experience starting an Online business from home
- David explains why Logistics is such a big industry