Monarch Institute1300 738 955 or email@example.com
Diploma Financial Planning
FNS50611 (RG146 compliant)
What does the Diploma of Financial Planning course involve?
To successfully launch your career in financial services, Monarch’s RG146 Diploma of Financial Planning course provides you with the necessary industry specific certification (known as RG146) to be ASIC compliant. Upon receiving your Diploma of Financial Planning, you can work as a financial advisor, or in various other roles within the financial services industry. Monarch’s Diploma in Financial Planning is a nationally accredited RG146 compliant course that covers all the fundamentals of financial planning and financial services:
DFP 1 - Foundations of Financial Planning
- Fundamentals of the Australian economy
- Financial markets & participants
- Regulatory environment
- Australian licensing framework
- Establishing client relationships
- Identifying client goals and objectives
- Analysing client risk profile
- Developing financial planning strategies
- Presenting strategies to clients
- Implementation of strategies
- Client review process
- Code of ethics
- Introduction to taxation
- Introduction to social security
- Estate planning fundamentals
- Risk management within a financial services office
DFP 2 - Investments
- Key asset classes
- Securities – money market instruments
- Securities – fixed interest and bonds
- Securities – property
- Securities – shares
- Securities – alternative investments
- Risk and return
- Investing in each asset class
- Difference between income and growth
- Dollar cost averaging
- Managed investments
- Index funds
- Fund managers
- Investment platforms
- Strategic asset allocation
- Tactical asset allocation
- Time value of money
- Application of investment principles
DFP 3 - Superannuation & Retirement Planning
- Superannuation in Australia
- Accumulation funds and defined benefit funds.
- Who can contribute into superannuation
- Identify the different kinds of contributions
- Taxation and superannuation earnings
- The superannuation guarantee
- The government co-contribution
- Super splitting and how it works
- Salary sacrifice and how it is applied
- The role and responsibility of superannuation trustees.
- How SMSF’s operate
- The mechanics of a superannuation pension
- Preservation age and accessing superannuation
- The tax applicable to superannuation benefits.
DFP 4 - Insurance & Risk Management
- The relationship between risk and insurance
- The basic characteristics of insurance
- General insurance
- Different types of insurance contracts
- Term life insurance
- Total and permanent disability insurance
- Critical illness (trauma) insurance
- Income protection insurance
- Taxation and personal insurance
- Identifying a client’s insurance needs
Various course schedules (streams) are available, including:
|Face to face workshops||Day-time stream||8 day classes|
|Face to face workshops||Evening stream||16 evening classes|
|Distance (Self-Paced) learning with
telephone and online support
|Distance stream||Up to 52 weeks|
|Customised training solutions for small, medium and large companies.|
Face-to-face workshops^: are conducted in a classroom environment enabling you to learn efficiently within a structured and engaging format. The workshops allow you to interact and network with other students under the guidance of industry professionals who “bring the course to life” and provide a “real world” perspective.
Distance (Self-Paced) learning: allows you to start a course when and where it is convenient for you to study. Distance learning is particularly popular with stay-at-home parents, full time employees, or anyone seeking maximum flexibility. You will be well supported throughout your course by Monarch’s dedicated distance education support team, available both over the phone and online.
Diploma in Financial Planning – Detailed Pricing
You can choose to enrol in the FULL Diploma of Financial Planning or alternatively you can enrol in just individual units (see prices below). There are substantial savings when enrolling in the Full Diploma of Financial Planning.
|Diploma units||Distance (self paced)
|Face to Face
|DFP1 Foundations of Financial Planning||$475||$950 – 2 days|
|DFP2 Investments||$475||$950 – 2 days|
|DFP3 Superannuation & Retirement Planning||$475||$950 – 2 days|
|DFP4 Insurance & Risk Management||$475||$950 – 2 days|
Enrol in the FULL Diploma and save!!
|$1,425 – we price match!||$2,950 – 8 days – we price match!|
|HUGE SAVINGS||Quality education, now more affordable||Quality education, now more affordable|
^All students studying at Monarch Institute are regarded as undertaking a course or qualification by distance education. Students may also choose to attend optional workshops which are facilitated by a recognised industry expert (‘facilitator’), in this instance a Financial Planning Professional. All Monarch facilitators are nationally recognised trainers and assessors under the Australian Quality and Training Framework (AQTF). To successfully complete the Diploma of Financial Planning, pre-reading, attendance at optional workshops (if applicable), self-study and post-workshop assessments is required. For further information, refer to Monarch Institute’s Student Information Guide.
Various locations are available for Diploma of Financial Planning training, including:
- Face-to-Face workshops – CBD training held nationwide.
- Your Office – Monarch Institute provides onsite training for group instruction.
- Distance Learning – the choice is yours.
Many students choose to study the Diploma of Financial Planning with Monarch via our online distance course. The cost saving are one significant reason – the course fee is generally close to half the price of a face-to-face course fee. But its just not only about the lower course prices. Many students tell us they want the convenience to study when, where and how best suits their lifestyle requirements. Studying at night, weekend or a few hours here or there is simply not a problem when enrolled in our online distance course. And Monarch offers a continuance enrolment intake for the online/distance course so you can start any time.
What student support will I receive when studying online/distance?
Many students are amazed to find out Monarch allocates each and every online/distance student to their own personal financial planning trainer. Your trainer is a successful Licensed Financial Planner so the help you get from your trainer while studying with Monarch is actually help from a licensed practising financial planning professional. As your online/distance trainer, they are always happy to talk to you about the practical “must know” strategies they use to remain successful and deliver true value. You can contact your trainer via email, phone or Skype as often as you like. Contact is encouraged so we always tell students when enrolling to make the most of it and take advantage of their personal trainer’s unique insight and experience, as part of their own education and learning experience.
So if you are considering studying online with Monarch, even though you may well be completing the online/distance course at home, in a coffee shop or in park by reading the materials and completing the online assessments, remember help and support is just an email or phone call away. The assessment feedback is also marked by your trainer and the general turnaround for assessments once you submit them online into our online learning management system (called ‘Moodle’) is 72 hours, often earlier! Convinced yet? We think you should be
Monarch Institute’s Diploma of Financial Planning and Advanced Diploma in Financial Planning are Government accredited. It has National recognition under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) meaning it can be used as a pathway to a university qualification, nationwide. The course is ASIC compliant, having been approved by ASIC authorised assessors in meeting ASIC Policy Statement 146 (known as RG146) and is listed on the ASIC Training Register at: http://asic.gov.au/eTraining/eTrain.nsf
To be awarded a Diploma of Financial Planning: 15 units of competency are required for award of this qualification. An additional unit is required in order to be recognised as RG146 compliant in each of Managed investments, Superannuation and Life Insurance. The 16 units of competency listed below are packaged into 4 modules:
DFP1 – Foundations of Financial Planning
DFP2 – Investments
DFP3 – Superannuation & Retirement Planning
DFP4 – Insurance & Risk Management
|National code||Unit Title|
|FNSASICZ503A||Provide advice in Financial Planning|
|FNSFPL501A||Comply with financial planning practice ethical and operational guidelines and regulations|
|FNSFPL502A||Conduct financial planning analysis and research|
|FNSFPL503A||Develop and prepare financial plan|
|FNSFPL504A||Implement financial plan|
|FNSFPL505A||Review financial plans and provide ongoing service|
|FNSFPL506A||Determine client requirements and expectations|
|FNSINC401A||Apply principles of professional practice to work in the financial services industry|
|BSBITU402A||Develop and use complex spreadsheets|
|FNSASICT503A||Provide advice in Managed Investments|
|FNSASICU503A||Provide advice in Superannuation|
|FNSASICX503A||Provide advice in Life Insurance|
|FNSIAD501A||Provide appropriate services, advice and products to clients|
|FNSINC501A||Conduct product research to support recommendations|
|FNSCUS505A||Determine client requirements and expectations|
|FNSCUS506A||Record and implement client instructions|
Monarch has carefully structured its financial services assessments to include a variety of formats which will enhance your understanding:
- Case studies
- Multiple choice
- Short answer questions
- Role plays
Any person who provides financial advice must have an industry specific accreditation (known as RG146 certification). Completing the Monarch Institute Diploma of Financial Planning automatically means you are RG146 compliant in the areas of managed investments, life insurance and superannuation. This RG146 qualification will provide you with a vast array of employment opportunities within the financial services industry.
Many employment positions in the financial services industry require an RG146 qualification, including: banks, fund managers, investment platform providers, investment research houses, superannuation funds, stock brokers, credit unions, accounting practices, financial planning practices, mortgage broking businesses, insurance firms, business brokers and real estate agencies.
- Speaking to fellow students (and others) already working in the industry, to understand the areas currently in demand.
- Research current vacancies and remuneration levels on career websites such as www.seek.com.au and www.mycareer.com.au
- Inquire about professional membership to industry associations. There are often discounts for students so enquire at:
After the successful completion of a Diploma of Financial Planning you are eligible to enrol in the Advanced Diploma of Financial Planning.
Monarch Institute recognises Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which takes into account the knowledge and skills you have already gained through your previous education and work history, attributing this to your Financial Services Diploma. This may be through formal or informal training and can result in credits towards your qualification.
Advisers and students with foreign qualifications are required by ASIC to undertake courses on the ASIC training register to familiarise themselves with Australian regulatory requirements.
Request a callback
RG146 Compliant - YES we are!
Government Funding - we price match.
- Self paced, online
- Do it when it suits you
- No hidden costs
- Phone support
- Interactive learning
- Experienced trainers
- No hidden costs
Why is everyone doing their course with us?
- Your materials have been written by successful industry professionals.
- Both your workshop and online/distance trainers are industry experts.
- Your trainers have won many awards and prizes in recognition for teaching excellence.
- No exams. You complete the assessments online, and in your own time.
- The notes make sense! They’re very easy to follow.
- Student satisfaction is our number one goal!
- No hidden costs