All Articles / Accounting and Bookkeeping
All Articles / Accounting and Bookkeeping

Which accounting or bookkeeping course is right for me?

A Career in Accounting and Bookkeeping

Wondering which accounting or bookkeeping course you should do? Like any big life change, it’s a good idea to plan with a specific goal in mind. To choose the right course, think: “where do I want to end up?”

Doing the books for my small business

Are you running a small business, or helping a partner run a business? Do you want to be able to do your own books, to save money, or to just to be more in touch with your business operations? A Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping could be the right move for you. Amongst the outcomes, you’ll be able to:

  • Get your financial information and bookwork organised
  • Process different financial transactions
  • Prepare meaningful financial reports you can act on
  • Put together efficient budgets
  • Do your own payroll and BAS

Setting up business as a bookkeeper

If you want to become a registered BAS agent, you’ll need at least a Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping. The good news is that Monarch Institute is one of very few RTOs (registered training organisations) to offer the Tax Practitioners Board-approved courses required to become a registered BAS agent.

Once you’ve successfully completed a Certificate IV with us, you’ll also need relevant experience. And if our past students’ word is anything to go by, you’ll find work experience that much easier to come by when you’re a Monarch Institute student. You’ll be linked in to a great network of students, alumni and employers the moment you come on board.

Working towards a career as an accountant

According to government data , accounting is a career path that’ll offer plenty of growth and choice. It’s something you can work towards if you’ve got a Diploma of Accounting.
The Diploma of Accounting does have some pre-requisites, however it contains all the theoretical basics you’ll need to get a great head-start on a degree-level qualification. It’s also a great way to get a taste of the study experience, if it’s been a while since you were at school.
A quick Google search tells us that many major Australian universities offer up to eight (8) units of ‘advanced standing’ (similar to RPL) – roughly a year’s worth of full-time study – for students who’ve completed a Diploma. However, it’s important to check with the university you’re thinking of attending before you enrol in a Diploma of Accounting with Monarch Institute.

Becoming a tax agent

The Diploma-level qualification is also a must-do if you’re thinking of becoming a tax agent. Monarch Institute makes your pathway much clearer. The optional extra Tax Agent Certification module contains these units:

Australian taxation law

  • FNSACC522 Prepare tax documentation for individuals
  • FNSACC601 Prepare and administer tax documentation for legal entities

TPB codes: MTL001 / MTL002

Commercial law

  • FNSTPB503 Apply legal principles in contract and consumer law
  • FNSTPB504 Apply legal principles in corporations and trust law
  • FNSTPB505 Apply legal principles in property law

TPB codes: MCL001 / MCL002/ MCL003

Not only are they TPB-compliant, they’re a fascinating first step in to the legal side of the tax system.

Still not sure which course is right for you? You can always chat through your options with one of Monarch Institute’s friendly course consultants. Call 1300 738 955 now.

Any questions? Ask away!